This Herring salad is a traditional Russian dish that originated in 1918. Historians believe that Anastas Bogomilov and Aristarchus Prokoptsev (his chef) created this salad dish to save his restaurant and called it Shuba which means “fur coat”.
Later sometime in late 1960’s the Herring salad started showing in Russian restaurant menus and served in small plates as an appetizer.
Today it is a very popular dish through out the Soviet continent and many parts of the world.
The elegant salad is known as “Herring Shuba Salad” Or “Herring Under A Fur Coat”.
1. Prepare all your ingredients before and place them in separate mixing bowls.. Boil shredded carrots, shredded potatoes, and shredded beets, chop 3 boiled eggs, 1 or 2 herrings, mayo, salt and pepper.
2. Start by cutting the herring into pieces and set aside for later..
3. Add the shredded boiled beets in to a bowl then one spoon of mayonnaise and mix it.
4. In another bowl toss in the chopped boiled eggs with one tablespoon of mayonnaise and mix.
5. Then another bowl mix the boiled potatoes with one Tbsp of mayonnaise. Do the same for the shredded boiled carrots and the herring.
6. Now it’s time to layer the dish to make it into a Shuba Herring Salad. Take a medium size bowl and place the potato mix at the bottom and make it evenly flat, then sprinkle some black pepper and salt. Layer the carrots on top, flatten it and add more pepper.
7. On top of the carrots add the eggs and more salt and pepper.. Finally top it with the herring and then the shredded beets, sprinkle some chopped scallions.. Congratulations! You made a Russian Under a Fur Salad!
8. To plate, scoop a piece of the salad in the bowl from top to bottom and place it in the middle of a plate, you can sprinkle fresh parsley or more chopped scallions to decorate. Enjoy!
You May Also Like
Related Food & Recipe Posts For Herring Under A Fur Coat