You must have heard the expression, “as American as an apple pie,” at some point in life. Here’s a great traditional homemade apple pie recipe that you and your family can enjoy.. Hearty, Easy and super Delish!
Apple pie is one of the fruit pies with apple as its main central ingredient.
It actually originated in 14th century medieval England during the time of Chaucer, the legendary English poet of the Middle Ages.
Whipped cream, cheddar cheese or ice cream often complement the apple pie when served.
Note: On several occasions I like to use already made pillsbury pie crust dough. It’s tasty, flaky and saves a lot of time. Just needs to be thawed, add your homemade apple pie filling and it’s ready to bake… and sometimes I like to make the pie crust from scratch depending on the occasion.. For those of you who want to make the apple pie crust from scratch you can see video here..
How To Make This Apple Pie
1. Add 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a frying pan over medium high heat.. When the butter is all melted add 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour and stir, let simmer for about 3 minutes then add 1/4 cup of water, 1 cup of granulated sugar and let simmer for another 3 minutes.
2. Peel 2 1/2 lbs of granny smith apples, cut them in half then discard the core.. Cut the apple into apple slices.. See pic below.
3. Put the apple slices in a medium size bowl and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon, then add the apple filling mix that was done in the frying pan and stir mix apples with the filling. Set aside for later.
4. Lay the apple crust dough in a pie mold (see pic below) then fill it up evenly with the apple filling.
4. Flatten the extra dough and slice to make thin strips.. Now you can braid the top of the apple pie. If you have trouble braiding the pie I suggest you watch the end of the video above…
5. Glaze the top of the pie on the strips with an egg.
6. Bake pie at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes, after 15 minutes reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes.. Enjoy this great traditional American dessert!