In Brazil this flan cake dessert is usually served on holidays or special occasions.. It’s a simple recipe that is big on taste. The flan has a creamy texture made with condensed milk and topped with a sweet caramel sauce reminiscent of a creme brulee. A fun and delicious dessert!
Made famous in Portugal.. History tells us that this flan dessert in the ancient days was called “Pudim De Priscos” a recipe that has been dedicated to a Portuguese priest named Father Priscos.
As Portuguese settlers came to Brazil the flan recipe went through modifications and was named “Pudim De Leite Condensado” Which became a staple of Brazilian food culture.
1. The first thing you want to do is to make the sugar turns into a caramel.. To do this pour 1 cup of sugar in a pot on medium heat.. Stir slowly with a wood spoon or spatula until the sugar liquifies.
2. When the sugar dissolves and turns into a liquid slowly add hot water (About 1/2 a cup) until in turns into a sugar caramel syrup. Once the sugar caramel is done pour into the tube pan.
3. Then turn the tube pan making the side walls of the tube pan get coated with the syrup. This will make it easier for the flan to slide off the tube pan. Put the pan aside and let simmer.. Time to make the custard filling for the flan.
4. At this point you can preheat the oven to 350 degrees.. Put one 1 cup of milk, 3 eggs, and 1 can of condensed milk in a blender and blend for about 10 minutes until it becomes like a fluffy custard. Then pour the custard mix onto the caramel in the solid tube pan.
5. Bake for 1 hour over a water bath at 350 degrees F to make it nice and moist. (A water bath is simply a pan or tray of hot water placed in the oven). After you baked the solid tube pan with the flan in the oven for one hour take it out and it should like this. Then refrigerate for 10 to 12 hours.
6. Here comes the tricky part.. After refrigerated for 12 hours take it out of the fridge and pass a hot knife carefully through the edges of the tube pan without breaking the custard.
7. You can heat your knife by pouring hot water on it.. This will allow the custard to loosen up and retract from the tube pan without breaking when you flip it over..
8. After passing the knife through the edges of the pan simply put a plate over the tube pan and flip it.. Like magic!! You should get a nice golden ring flan.. Enjoy!