There’s nothing better than homemade potato gnocchi, on top of that pair it with a simple tomato sauce with a hint of basil and it’s so flavorful..
The crucial part is getting the gnocchi right. Then the tomato sauce is easy. Love to serve this plate with guests or family gatherings. It’s always a pleaser! Included in this recipe is how to make potato gnocchi from scratch.. See video below. Gnocchi’s can also be served in small amounts as a side dish or an appetizer.
Gnocchi With Tomato Sauce Ingredients
|Ingredients For The Homemade Gnocchi|
|Ingredients For The Tomato Sauce|
How To Make The Homemade Potato Gnocchi
Note: You can make homemade gnocchi’s as shown in the video or use the method below.
2. Flour up the table where you are going to work an place the mashed potatoes in a volcano form. Add the egg in the middle of the mashed potatoes and salt mixing it with flour, knead with your hands. The amount of flour may vary depending on the moisture of the potatoes.
3. Once you got a uniform dough, make a ball with it and make it sit for 15 minutes. Cut a piece of dough and roll it over until it has a worm look alike form then cut it in two cm long cubes. Repeat the process until you run out of dough.
How To Make The Tomato Sauce With Basil
1. For the Tomato Sauce cut half an onion in very small pieces, add the olive oil in a medium size non stick pan. When the oil is hot cook the onions for about 3 to 5 min.. While cooking the onions add 3 branches of fresh basil chopped, stir and continue cooking for another 1 minute.
2. Pour the peeled tomato can in a blender.. Mix it on pulse until the it becomes a tomato sauce with small chunks of tomato. Pour it in the frying pan with the onions and basil, bring to a boil.. Add 1 pinch of salt and 1 pinch of pepper while stirring the sauce for 2-3 minutes.
3. Let the sauce simmer on low heat with a lid for 15 minutes. Voila! Your pomodoro (tomato) sauce with basil is ready! Now you just need to cook the gnocchi’s and add them to the sauce.
Adding The Tomato Sauce With The Gnocchi
1. Now that the fresh gnocchi’s are done you have to cook them. Bring water to a boil in a pot, add a tablespoon of salt.. Slowly toss the gnocchi’s in for about 3 to 5 minutes or until all gnocchi’s are floating.
2. Drain the gnocchi’s in a colander then put them in the pan with the tomato sauce. Mix gently with a wood spoon. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese and Enjoy!