What is it about Empanadas that everybody loves? Empanadas are the perfect on the go treats, they also make great lunch food, my kids and hubby love them… This patty is packed with flavor, juicy on the inside and crusty, crunchy but yet soft on the outside.
In this recipe you will learn how the make fresh beef empanadas at home starting from the empanada dough then the beef filling and finally sealing the empanada.. After trying multiple empanadas we paired ingredients that brought out the best in flavor and texture.
Beef Empanada Recipe Ingredients
|Cookware Needed For This Recipe|
|Ingredients For The Empanada Dough|
|Ingredients For The Beef Filling|
How To Make These Beef Empanadas From Scratch
1. Making the empanada dough: Pour 3 3/4 cups of flour in a mixing bowl, then add 3/4 cup of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, one egg and 1/3 cup of water.. Mix all ingredients with your hands until it forms into a dough. If the batter is too dry you can add a little more water.
2. Once it forms into a ball of dough place a plastic wrap over it and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Prepare To Make The Beef Filling: Slice the bell pepper into small cubes, chop the scallions, then the onion and all other ingredients that need to be cut into small pieces. Prepare them and place them into small mixing bowls. Organization plays a major role when cooking.
4. Add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan on medium high heat..
Note: Add each ingredient below in intervals of 20 to 30 seconds while stir frying.
5. Start by adding the chopped onions, then the garlic, bell peppers, chopped carrots, and 1lb of ground beef. Stir fry until beef is brown.
6. Now add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1/2 a cup of beef broth, paprika, cumin, salt to taste, 1/4 cup of chopped green olives, the fresh chopped parsley and finally the chopped boiled eggs. Stir fry for a minute until all ingredients are blended and set aside to cool at room temperature.
7. Take the dough from the fridge and flatten it with a dough roller, then cut circles into the dough with a bowl (4 to 6 inches in diameter). In this recipe I managed to make 6 empanadas.
8. Take one circle of dough and place 1 to 3 spoons of beef filling in the center, you want to leave room on the sides to seal the empanada.
9. Now turn over one side to shape it into a half moon and twirl the sides to seal the empanada (I recommend watching the video above), you can skip this step if you are using an empanada dumpling maker. You can also seal the empanada using a fork.. Watch video here.
10. When you are done making all the empanadas place them on a parchment paper in a baking sheet and glaze them with a light coat of scrambled eggs.
11. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.. Congratulations! You just made empanadas! Enjoy these great delicious patties..