There’s a few pointers that I would like to mention when making a spaghetti alla Puttanesca dish.. Remember that the anchovies and olives are very salty so it’s best not to add salt in your pasta or sauce.
When the puttanesca sauce is ready taste it and only then add salt accordingly.. Many Puttanesca pasta dishes I have eaten were too salty, It’s a common mistake that many novice cooks do.
Also, the olives are an important ingredient in this dish.. I recommend using Gaeta olives, they are oval Italian olives that are black in color and have a salty flavorful taste. If you can’t find them you can use Kalamata olives as a substitute.
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca Recipe Ingredients
|Cookware Needed For This Recipe|
|Ingredients For This Recipes|
1. Preparing The Ingredients: Chop the capers into small pieces, cut the anchovies into small pieces (don’t worry about the anchovies they will dissolve into the sauce).. Cut the chili peppers, and chop the garlic cloves into small pieces.
2. In a frying pan on medium high heat add about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, then add the garlic, chili peppers, capers and finally the anchovies. Stir and mix for about 1 minute.
3. In a mixing bowl pour the peeled tomatoes and crush them with your hands, of course wash your hands before doing this.. Once the tomatoes are crushed pour them into the frying pan.. Cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat while stirring slowly every 4-5 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes if you used whole garlic cloves you can discard them from the sauce, if you used finely chopped garlic cloves you can leave them in.
5. Chop the pitted olives in halves, then chop the fresh parsley leaves.. Add them to the sauce and stir.. The puttanesca sauce is ready.
6. Cooking The Spaghetti: Toss the spaghetti in already boiling water and let cook for about 8-10 minutes (do not add salt to water).. When the spaghetti is cooked toss (using a tong) them in the pan with the puttanesca sauce and stir until the sauce is well blended with the pasta. Make sure you don’t add too much pasta in the pan.
7. Congratulations! You just made an authentic real Italian spaghetti puttanesca dish..