There’s a lot of controversy concerning this pasta dish.. To make things clear the original Fettucini Alfredo does not have cream in it’s ingredients. Historians believe that the Fettuccini Alfredo pasta dish was invented in 1890’s by Alfredo di Lelio who’s mother Angelina had a restaurant in Rome.
The original fettuccini Alfredo sauce has two main ingredients (parmesan cheese and butter) which are skillfully integrated with the pasta cooking water if needed to make a creamy like white sauce. In Italy we call it “Pasta Al’ Burro” (pasta with butter) which indeed is a very popular pasta dish.
As the dish spread across the world especially in the USA, many versions have been created and advertised differently with different kinds of pasta noodles like spaghetti and linguini.. They also added heavy cream to the sauce.. Today, in Italy the dish is still called “Pasta Al’ Burro” Or “Fettuccini Al’ Burro”, in America and some parts of the world they call it “Fettuccini Alfredo”.
In this recipe you will learn how to make fettuccini Alfredo from scratch starting from fresh homemade fettuccini pasta with two of the most popular Alfredo sauces. It’s a dish that is very tasty and delicious if done well.
Fettuccini Alfredo Recipe Ingredients
|Ingredients For The Homemade Fettuccini Pasta|
|Ingredients For Classic Fettuccini Alfredo Sauce|
|Ingredients For The Shrimp Alfredo Sauce|
|Ingredients For The Chicken Alfredo Sauce|
How To Make The Fettuccini Pasta
1. Pour the re-milled semolina flour on a clean surface, then pour the “00” flour on top, make a volcano shape with your fingers in the flour (see pic) and add 4 whole eggs. Start mixing slowly with a fork starting from the middle moving outward.
2. While mixing the eggs with the flour it start forming into dough.. At this point you can start kneading the dough until ingredients are well blended..
3. After kneading form the dough into a ball and place it in a mixing bowl. Let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes cut the risen dough into slices so you can pass into the pasta maker. Older Italian generations don’t use a pasta maker they do everything by hand but that’s another topic we will get into later. Im assuming everybody has a pasta maker these days.
5. Depending on which pasta maker you have, you should be able to flatten the dow for you then make different shapes of pasta in this case it’s Fettuccini’s. Read all instructions on pasta maker before using.
How To Make The Alfredo Sauce
1. The Alfredo sauce is very easy to make, it’s only two ingredients (grated parmesan & butter).. Toss the homemade fettuccini pasta in a pot with already boiling water with a half a tablespoon of salt..
2. Place 50g of butter into a pan or bowl.. After 2 minutes take the cooked fettuccini’s with a tong and place them in the bowl with the butter.. Then add about 150g of grated parmesan on top and start mixing the fettuccini’s (using tong) with the butter and parmesan. Make sure you take a little cooking water from the pot, you may need it later.
Note: The tricky part of to make a good Alfredo dish and most important is adding the right amount of pasta to the butter and parmesan to make a creamy Alfredo sauce..
If you add to much Fettuccini’s you can add some cooking water, if you add too little pasta simply add more until you get a nice creamy sauce.
Alfredo Sauce With Shrimp
1. Pour about half a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.. Cook the desired amount of shrimp you want.. In this recipe I used large shrimp, you can use medium sized or small shrimps. Add a little salt on them then add 4-5 fresh mint leafs while cooking. When the shrimps are cooked place them on top of the fettuccini Alfredo. Delish!
Alfredo Sauce With Chicken
1. Pour about half a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.. Cook the desired amount of chicken you want.. Add a little salt on them then add 4-5 fresh basil leafs while cooking. When the chicken pieces are cooked place them on top of the fettuccini Alfredo. Mmmm!