There are many modifications and additions to the traditional “Spaghetti alla Carbonara” pasta dish and probably many taste great however there’s a distinct taste and texture of the original Italian Carbonara dish that is unmatched.
To make a perfect spaghetti carbonara, ingredients must not be added or substituted otherwise it is not a carbonara..Learn about the history of this dish here. It looks easy to make but it can be a little tricky. Keep in mind when adding the egg sauce to the cooked spaghetti.
The pasta in the pan has to be at the right temperature (not too hot).. Otherwise, you will have spaghetti with scrambled eggs. The fat of guanciale (pork bacon) combined with the eggs should give you a great creamy flavorful sauce. This dish is just darn delicious if done well!
Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe Ingredients
|Ingredients For This Recipe|
How To Make Spaghetti Carbonara
1. Let’s start with making the Carbonara sauce. Put 3 egg yolks with one whole egg in a mixing bowl, then add 1 cup of pecorino cheese and 1 cup of parmesan. Mix with a whisk until the cheese and eggs are well blended. Add a pinch or two of ground black pepper, mix again and set the Carbonara sauce aside until later.
2. If not already sliced, slice four slices of the Guanciale bacon (pork cheek) then remove the peppered edges and cut each slice in small rectangular cubes.
3. Without adding oil in a frying pan cook the Guanciale bacon until they are brown and almost crispy. You don’t need to add oil, the bacon will sweat it’s own oil. Add a pinch of ground black pepper while frying. When you are done frying the bacon remove from stovetop and let simmer until spaghetti’s are done.
4. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan then add 1 tbsp of salt and toss the spaghetti (350g) in the boiling water for 9 minutes. Stir slowly every 2 minutes to separate the spaghetti.
5. When the spaghetti is cooked (do not drain) take the desired amount of spaghetti from the saucepan with a tong and toss it with the Guanciale bacon in the frying pan and stir-mix well. Save some cooking water for later.
6. Then pour the spaghetti with the Italian bacon from the frying pan into the carbonara sauce.
7. Stir the spaghetti with the carbonara sauce then add 2 tablespoons of cooking water and continue to stir.. Now you can plate your dish! Congratulations.. you just made a spaghetti carbonara. Enjoy!