Aren’t they lovely! We thank Valerio from Italy who sent us this great recipe. These shortbread cookies taste as good as they look. Crunchy but yet soft, not too buttery and not too sweet. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
In this recipe he used blueberry marmalade to fill the heart of the cookie, you can use whatever marmalade flavor you desire. Strawberry seems be popular too. These cookies also make great gift ideas for Valentine’s, date nights, or even anniversaries.. Wrapping these heart-shaped cookies in a box and gifting them to a loved one can be the most wholesome thing. small gestures go a long way.
Heart Shaped Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Shortbread Cookie Recipe Ingredients
|Ingredients For This Recipe|
- Flour (260g)
- Sugar (100g)
- Baking Powder (3g)
- Butter (130g)
- Grated Lemon Peel (1 tsp)
- 1 Egg
- Marmalade (Your Choosing)
How To Make This Valentine’s Cookie Recipe
1. Pour the flour on a clean surface then add the sugar on top. Shape into a volcano with a well in the middle.
2. Now add the butter and baking powder in the middle of the flour volcano then add about 1 tsp of grated lemon peel, use a citrus zester
.. Finally add 1 whole egg.
3. Mix all ingredients with your hands then start kneading until it forms into a dough. Form it into a ball, plastic wrap it and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes take the dough from the fridge. Drizzle a little flour on a clean surface place the dough on top and start rolling the dough until the thickness is 2-3 mm.
5. Start cutting heart shaped designs into the dough with a heart cookie cutter
. Then place the hearts on a baking sheet.
6. Once the cookies are neatly placed in a baking sheet, start piercing smaller hearts through the center of half of the cookies. Note: Do pierce all the cookies (See pic below). Remove the center hearts and bake for 15/20 minutes at 330 degrees F.
7. After baking the cookies wait five minutes so they cool then add a teaspoon of marmalade (flavor is your desire) in the center of the heart cookie then place the cut cookie on top. In this recipe I used blueberry marmalade, strawberry is popular too.
8. Drizzle with sugar powder. You are done! Enjoy eating these beautiful lovely Valentine cookies with family and friends!